[RSS] India train crash: Over 200 dead & 900 injured after 2 trains derailed in world’s deadliest rail disaster in 20 ye

RSS
Bots
Bots
First Name: RSS FeedBot
Canada

[RSS] India train crash: Over 200 dead & 900 injured after 2 trains derailed in world’s deadliest rail disaster in 20 ye

Post by RSS »

OVER 200 people have been killed and upwards of 900 injured in the deadliest train crash in the world since 2004. Emergency responders rushed to Odisha’s Balasore district on Friday evening after two crowded passenger trains collided. ImageAPMany climbed out of the wreckage[/caption] ImageAPRescue workers have been attempting to retrieve survivors[/caption] Director general of the fire department in Odisha Sudhanshu Sarangi said 207 bodies have been recovered so far. Mr Sarangi added: “A very sad incident and the prognosis is not good.” A further 900 people were injured in the horror, with countless others still feared missing, local media reports. Terrifying footage shows onlookers and firefighters scramble to save those trapped in the wreck. An eyewitness said: “I was there at the site and I can see blood, broken limbs and people dying around me.” The Coromandel Express collided with the Howrah Superfast Express around 7.30pm, local news has said. The director general of the fire department, Sudhanshu Sarangi, said over 207 bodies have been recovered. More than 100 doctors have been mobilised to the region to assist with the injured masses. Dozens of ambulances rushed to the horror, with hundreds more feared trapped in the wreckage. It is understood one passenger train derailed before being struck by a second train on an adjacent track. Multiple carriages then followed, with countless toppling onto their side. Indian Railways said the two trains involved in the horror were the Coromandel Express and the Howrah Superfast Express. The state’s chief secretary Pradeep Jena said: “About 50 people have died and over 500 injured. “Our top priority now is rescuing [the passengers] and providing health support to the injured.” Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted: “Distressed by the train accident in Odisha. In this hour of grief, my thoughts are with the bereaved families. May the injured recover soon.  “Spoke to Railway Minister and took stock of the situation. “Rescue ops are underway at the site of the mishap and all possible assistance is being given to those affected.” Home Minister Amit Shah said the crash was “deeply agonising” A male survivor told India’s ANI news agency: “10 to 15 people fell on me when the accident happened and everything went haywire. “I was at the bottom of the pile. “I got hurt in my hand and also the back of my neck. “When I came out of the train bogie, I saw someone had lost their hand, someone had lost their leg, while someone’s face was distorted.”  India’s worst train disaster was in 1981, when an overcrowded passenger train was blown off the tracks and into a river during a cyclone in Bihar state, killing at least 800 people. ImageAPThe mangled carriages have injured hundreds[/caption] ImageReutersPeople escaped from top compartments[/caption] ImageReutersThe compartments are heavily damaged[/caption]

Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/22563227/ ... es-odisha/

Return to “United Kingdom”